Friday, January 9, 2015

REVIEW: Ring of Honor ROH TV Tag Wars 2014 Part 2



So due to the holidays and just my general lack of time, I ended up missing the episode of ROH TV that went in between the first part of Tag Wars and this, the finals of Tag Wars.    I'm not really going to go back and read the results of the few matches anyway because I just don't care and I kind of do feel like it was just filler between these two pieces of the puzzle.      Let's get onto the show now because this is it!


Match 1: Brian Kendrick vs. Adam Cole

I've always been a huge fan of Paul London and Brian Kendrick so seeing Spanky on ROH TV was a pleasant surprise.   Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino did an excellent job of putting him over as an ROH original and all of his various accomplishments throughout the entire world.     I'm actually very much in favor of this type of match happening on ROH TV because it's not so much a passing of the torch or going through the gatekeeper as it is just a nice way of seeing the past versus the present.    There are a number of former ROH roster members that can't come back to ROH because they're bound by WWE or even TNA, so it is nice to see those of them who can return occasionally for stints such as this.   My only complaint with this match was that Adam Cole won and while he is the future (or present) and all that, I just don't get yet what people see in Adam Cole.   Before the match he cut a promo about how there were a lot of naughty girls out there (This aired for Christmas) and he knows that they were only naughty because they wanted a little Cole in their stockings.    It was like some idiot pseudo-jock comedy writer somehow managed to make Adam Rose's gimmick worse and even more cheesy.    I was embarrassed for Adam Cole and for everyone else who had to witness that line immediately after it happened.    Still, this was only but a brief stop before the main event and as such I will let it slide and hope that in 2015 I will be able to see what everyone else likes about this Adam Cole character.


In between matches and really throughout the whole episode various wrestlers were either wishing Merry Christmas to fans or just heeling it up and saying that Santa wasn't real.   This was dumb and made me sad that it had to be on this show.  (Spoilers: Next week is a 2014 recap show and such things would have been better left until that one.  Maybe they'll want to work that out next year)


Match 2: Tag Wars Finals - The Briscoes vs. reDRagon vs. The Addiction vs. Matt Sydal & ACH

This match was for the ROH Tag Team Titles, which I didn't realize until after it had started.    That kind of gave me a spoiler about it because this was taped to air around Christmas and I was watching it in 2015 already and also after Wrestle Kingdom 9, an event in which I know that reDRagon went into as ROH Tag Champions still.    Yes, I know going into the match now that reDRagon are going to win, but no that doesn't bother me at all.   So here's the big news in this match: The Briscoes were the first team eliminated.   This was shocking to say the least.   Not only do many consider them to be the best team in ROH history, but Jay Briscoe is the current ROH Champion.   Here is to hoping that Jay Briscoe drops that title sooner than later and we can finally determine once and for all who is the best tag team ever.  (Though this might have done that right here)   Not only were The Briscoes eliminated first, I was also reminded that the team of Matt Sydal & ACH (who need a cool name) were in this match because they eliminated the Young Bucks two weeks ago.   In a lot of ways, Sydal and ACH were the stars of this match, but the fact that they kept the Young Bucks (who I absolutely hate and not because they are heels and I am supposed to) out of this just makes me like them that much more.    You know, with WWE and their lack of a tag team division and my disliking all of these tag teams I'm supposed to like (Young Bucks, American Wolves) I began questioning whether or not I just maybe didn't like tag team wrestling in general.   Perhaps tag teams just weren't for me.    While this match seemed clunky at times because of the number of people involved in it, by the end I really was happy and felt like what most people already say is true and that is the simple fact that reDRagon is pound for pound the best tag team in the world today.     Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels continue to impress and remind me just why tag team wrestling can be good and also we have Matt Sydal and ACH who I am very excited about now as a tag team.    So here are three solid tag teams plus the best tag team in the world and I defy anyone to watch this match and say that tag team wrestling is either dead or just simply cannot be good.     Granted, I watched this after Wrestle Kingdom 9 and that event really left me wondering whether or not I liked tag team wrestling but this one match just turned it all around for me and only showed me that tag team wrestling is alive and I am a fan of it... it just has to be this good.


Next week we will have a "special" episode of ROH TV that looks back at 2014 and I will most definitely not be watching that because I have too much else to do, (I also watched the special year in review episode from AAA so there's that) so whatever comes after that will most likely be my next ROH TV review and that will be sometime around January 15th to January 21st.

No comments:

Post a Comment