Sunday, March 15, 2015

REVIEW: World Wrestling Council WWC Puerto Rico TV 1/25/15


Special thanks to NAWR for helping me with the names and such as I don't understand Spanish.

We open with highlights of what's to come, that nice intro video and of course self-promotion before going into the first match.


Match One: Angel Fashion / David Montes vs. Angel Cotto / Rikochet

This match was seemingly joined in progress.   Rikochet is not the same as "Ricochet" who is now in Lucha Underground as Prince Puma, though he is masked.    Cotto has short hair with trunks on and he reminds me of when Billy Kidman cut his hair in his final WWE years.    I thought when this match first came on that the team of Fashion and Montes were Sons of Samoa because of their look but the commentators proved me wrong.    Angel Fashion pinned Angel Cotto for the win here with a plancha off of the top rope.   It wasn't a particularly bad or good match but I'm not really won over by any of these guys here either.   I think it mainly just served the purpose of showing me a Rikochet who I've never seen before.


After more self-promoting we go into a classic WWC match because apparently WWC doesn't have enough of their own current matches to show.   Of course I'm kidding, as WWC has a rich history and so seeing this match is a treat for the viewers.     The match appears to be in a baseball stadium and I just wish someone out there would take all of the old WWC footage with Abdullah the Butcher, Bruiser Brody, Carlos Colon and the like and put it out on DVD.    A year-by-year type of boxed set would be most excellent.  


More self-promotion for an event I'm not quite sure whether it happened or not yet.


Match Two: Carlito (Champion) vs. The Mighty Ursus *WWC Universal Championship Ring of Fire Match* 

The ring has little spots of fire all around it, on the ring apron and spots on the ropes are burning as well.    This is a lot cooler looking than anything I've ever seen done with fire before in matches and it seems like it'd be about as likely to touch the fire as it would be to touch barbed wire in a barbed wire rope match.    Though as I'm busy typing that, Ursus puts Carlito onto a spot on the ropes face first where there is no fire.    But I'm saying, you can't run the ropes in this match.     Carlito looks good here and it makes me sad for his House of Hardcore VIII match as clearly Carlito is ready to be the face of a wrestling promotion.   The fact that even TNA or ROH isn't using him says something, but it might be more that he just wants to stay in Puerto Rico and I can respect that.    I've always been a big fan of Carlito and so having him here in WWC makes WWC a promotion that is on my radar and not just for its rich history.     They cut to a promo from Superstar Ash about his upcoming match right in the middle of the match here.   Still better than any commercial break WWE has done.    There was also an odd commercial for a band that dresses up as costumed animals, like something you'd see out of Chuck E. Cheese.    The fire seems to be going out a lot as the match progresses and The Mighty Ursus is a big guy but Carlito manages to get the best of him for the pin and win.   If I was someone who didn't like Carlito (and I assume he is a technico in WWC) then I would most certainly want to see some of his hair burned off in that match.    The fact that the fire was there though seemed to be more of a way to keep outside interference from happening and less of "someone is going to get set on fire tonight!" factor.    It was a decent match but not the type of intensity and even time spent you might expect from it being for a championship and there being fire involved.  


Highlights of Ricardo Rodriguez's in ring career are shown and at times the outfit he wears makes him look like Super Crazy.     Ricardo Rodriguez also has a sit down promo with three ladies, a flag and apparently he is also the champion of something.  


I'm getting a bit more used to WWC on their second episode than I was on their first but it's just because I'm used to the flow on the show now and also I recognize Carlito from his WWE days and as such this seemed like a much more familiar show to me than the first episode I reviewed.    Still, two matches per show isn't that bad but the time they give them could be longer.    If they left that classic match off of this show, for example, then they could have given that title/ring of fire match a bit longer to go and that could have told a much better story.   But I do believe WWC still runs big shows and this might have just not been one of the big ones (Where the matches were taped from, that is to say) and as such I might have to watch something closer to a PPV to see longer matches, which is fine.

I also plan on not covering as much of the self promotion in the upcoming reviews as it seems somewhat silly to simply type the same things over and over again as they promote upcoming matches.    I'm reviewing these after they happen not as they air live and if you're not in Puerto Rico it also seems somewhat moot so I'll leave that out next time as well and just stick with the action that will most likely be limited to two matches.

No comments:

Post a Comment